Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Looking down the barrel of the weekend



Saturday will be a lost day. Planning to head with the family to the Benmarl Fall Festival at the Benmarl Winery, America's Oldest Vineyard (http://www.benmarl.com/). So that leaves Sunday as my project day; and given that I'll be at a wine festival all day Saturday, I don't anticipate an early start on Sunday.










So I've got to choose this weekend's project wisely. I'm sure everyone can relate - so many projects, so little time, and not wanting to live 5-6 days staring unfinished projects. (And oh yes, I could pull 4 hours after work before I had kids - but no more).










So here are my options:












Option 1: Punching Up the Playroom:



One of the upstairs bedrooms is a playroom (my two oldest wanted to share a room and get bunkbeds, so we have an extra unused bedroom). The room, however, need some sprucing up. A new coat of paint (the previous owners painted some nasty stripes), a little area rug to keep the little tootsies warm, and some shelving for the closets to organize and store. The wife chose a bright yellow to lighten up the room (Behr eggshell). Also thinking of some basic ClosetMaid elements from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Closet-Storage/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zaqud/h_d2/Navigation?&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&langId=-1) due to the functionality of it - I assume the two oldest will NOT want to share a room until college, so the closet org system has to be applicable and interchangeable for whomever takes the room eventually. The room also has a double closet - the wife is jockeying for one to include a built in work top and shelves for crafts and such, even thought she doesn't do crafts (DAMN YOU THRIFTY HOME ORGANIZATION MAGAZINES!).












Option2: Puttering Potluck:



Since we moved in there are a few odds and ends I haven't been able to get to. Simple stuff but it all adds up. The potluck package, should I choose it, would include caulking the shower in the master bath (I have a drip somewhere and short of punching a gaping hole in my kitchen ceiling, I will simply try to fill every crack I can find), filling a 4-inch jagged hole in the kid's bathroom where a certain pre-schooler hung from the towel rack and promtly yanked the whole damn thing out. As I was telling my fellow DIY'er P Zak today, it's not small enough to patch with the mesh or metal cover - mesh is soft and too weak in big holes, and the metal patch is never smooth when you mud it), so it's a little involved what with cutting a piece of sheetrock and all. Mowing the back lawn, and some wood splitting and cutting...WITH MY NEW CHAINSAW! AAARGH!












Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment